2) 3 Minutes 3 Columns: we were each given a worksheet, with 3 columns; we were to predict the meaning of the bolded word in each sentence, then find the actual meaning. This activity helps you to practice using context clues to determine the meaning of new words.
3) Chapter 1 Questions: discuss the questions we had to write for homework on chapter 1. Asking questions while you are reading helps to cement the information. It will also help to guide your future reading.
4) The Island-Setting: we were given 20 minutes to work on a sketch (title: This Belongs to Us) of the island as the boys see it, from the top of the mountain. The sheet given had notes and criteria. This is to be completed for next class.
5) T-Chart: as a class we made a t-chart of Golding (author of Lord of the Flies) and Rousseau (philosopher) each man had a different view of the human race. Golding believed that without rules, and systems like schools, the human race would be savage and wild. Rousseau on the other hand believed that every person was good, and searched for good.
6) Homework: read Chapter 2 “Fire on the Mountain”, finish The Island sketch, and do the worksheet Chapter 1&2 Text Framing Notes. All due Wednesday. * Note: EXTENSION ON THE ISLAND SKETCH. PLEASE FINISH FOR MONDAY